It is going to take a little time...

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/arrow-of-time-reversed-quantum-experiment

To me, this issue of how we engage teachers to develop their tech skills and students' skills seems to always come down to time. If it takes too much time to learn or change from what we are previously using, then few are willing to try. You can promise it will save the teacher time in the long run, but you really need to deliver on that promise. Your early adopters will become the biggest critics if it doesn't actually save time. If it takes too much time to teach to students or takes up too much time from the course content, then few are willing to try for any change. Time, time and more time. Ironically, I have found the best solution to all of this issues is to give it some time: time to percolate, time to pique interest, time to develop. I think I need to take the policy, "you have to go slow to go fast" in my own development of ICT skills and when supporting others. You also really need to take the time to know your community and professional needs. If you want to be a part of sustained growth, I think the TL needs to be seen as someone who understands the community and its needs. And, it is okay if some members of your community need more time than others to adopt, develop, or share. For that reason, I think conversations shouldn't start with phrases like, "Wouldn't it be great if everyone ___________." I am a big believer in the idea: right time, right kid, right book. This also applies to a teacher's learning. This might mean offering the same workshop three times during the school year as well as offering some quick in classroom tutorials. As well, making sure information goes both ways. I think it helps when the TL is consistently learning from staff. This would create a powerful learning community.



mi-solutions.com/blog/working-lunch/
I met someone once (can't remember who or where they worked) who worked at a school that extended lunch by a bit one day each week with the idea that teachers could meet over lunch, collaborate, and develop ideas. There was no expectation to share out or to prove your learning which this person felt was the key to people authentically engaging in it. The administration bought sweets (food!) and walked around to deliver it and asked questions like, "Let me know what you need to make this idea happen" when they listened in on the teachers' co-planning. I love this model. I think it would be neat to offer collaborating teachers space and food (and try to organize a bit of extra time before the back-to-class bell rings) and then listen in and offer help and resources where I can and learn when I can! I hope to incorporate this when I have a TL position.

Comments

  1. You have included an interesting discussion of the provision of adequate time for successful professional development. I like how you have considered meeting the needs of teachers at the right time or in the right way.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Have information, will travel!

Dipping My Toe In

"Read with Expression"